Money saving hacks? Anyone? Anyone?
Is it just me or is the cost of living going through the roof?? And as our budgets get tighter we’re all looking for ways to make our dollar go further. So, the first thing many people do is try to cut back on their spending. I get it! We’ve done the same in our household.
Here’s the problem though… In the past I’ve known a few women who have decided to stop using their Young Living products and gone back to buying their cleaning products at the supermarket because they felt this would ‘save them money’. I don’t want to judge, because I love them dearly, but I believe that was a crazy decision for them and their families for two reasons:
- Those supermarket products may seem cheaper in the short term, but they’re full of toxic chemicals. In the medium to long term they’re going to cause all kinds of health and hormone problems. A few dollars saved now will be nothing compared to the high price those women and their families will pay as they sacrifice their health and happiness in the future. It’s just not worth it!!
- Young Living products are super-concentrated, so if you know some simple hacks you can make them stretch further so they end up being even more economical than those nasty supermarket brands.
So, here are my favourite Young Living product hacks so you can enjoy all-natural goodness and save money!
Thieves Household Cleaner… replaces almost everything
Cleaning your home can be expensive. When you start adding up the cost of buying an all-purpose cleaner, a toilet bowl cleaner, a window cleaner, a floor cleaner, an oven cleaner, etc. it’s a LOT. So when you realise you can replace all of these with just one bottle of Thieves Household Cleaner it makes a lot of sense.
And from just one 428ml bottle of Thieves Household Cleaner, you can get an average of 42 x 300ml spray bottles of all-purpose cleaner, good to use on everything from windows to floors.
To do this just add 10mls (a capful) of the concentrated Thieves cleaner to an empty 300ml spray bottle and top up with water. This works out at 98 cents a bottle or if you buy the bigger 1.8 litre bottle it is even cheaper at 83 cents for each 300ml bottle you make up. And that saves you a whole lot of cents!
This can replace so much more than just cleaners. You can use it to…
- replace your dishwasher or laundry detergent
- degrease the stove, oven, microwave, or grill
- wash your cars, your patio, and your outdoor furniture
- clean sponges, rags, and toothbrushes
- clean all your surfaces – wood, stone, tile, and grout
- wash pet bowls and clean aquariums
- make a soft scrub for cleaning skinks, toilet bowls, baths and kitchen benches
- make up a stain remover roller by filling an empty roller bottle and rolling on stains prewash
- make your own DIY natural cleaning wipes
- check out even more uses in this article – 50 awesome uses for Thieves Household Cleaner
Concentrated means 2x, 3x, 4x or more
Because many of Young Living’s products are so concentrated, you are able to get even more for your money by diluting to double, triple or quadruple the amount you started with. We actual joke and say that Young Living doesn’t charge for water in their products. They leave that up to you to add.
Here are some products you can ‘double, triple, quadruple up’ on and still get the same great results:
Handy Hand Soap Hack
In an effort to save money I’ve started adding just 2 Tablespoons (40mls) of the Luscious Lemon Hand Soap refill to my empty dispensers and I top up the rest with water. So, instead of the 4 bottles I would get if I filled them up with just the straight hand soap I now get 23 bottles of all-natural hand soap that smells divine! This works out at $2.97 which is cheaper than most of the toxic, fragrance-loaded ones from the supermarket.
You’ll LOVE these Laundry Soap Money Saving Hacks
Many laundry detergents, even natural ones, have fillers and chemicals that have been shown to be toxic to our bodies, especially our hormones. And when we wash with these chemicals they can seep into our skin. That’s why no matter what, I will keep using the Thieves Laundry Soap. Without dilution it works out at only 78 cents a load, but here are two different ways to get even more washes for your buck:
Double (!) your Thieves Laundry Soap
Here’s how to bring the cost down to 46 cents a load –
- Divide your Thieves Laundry Soap in half. I pour half into an empty Thieves Laundry Soap bottle that I have saved for this purpose.
- Add 3 capfuls of the Thieves Household Cleaner to each bottle.
- Add 20 drops of Citrus Fresh essential oil blend to make it smell even better and clean more powerfully.
- Shake to combine.
Can You REALLY Make 4 Litres(!) of Laundry Liquid from ONE bottle?
This is one of the best money saving hacks! I make this is a 4 litre glass drink dispenser.
- ¼ cup bicarb soda
- ¼ cup washing soda
- ¼ cup Thieves Laundry Soap
- 1 cap (10mls) Thieves household cleaner
- Start by pouring 1/4 cup washing soda into your dispenser and dissolve this in about a cup of boiling water.
- Once your washing soda has dissolved, add 1/4 cup bicarb soda. Stir until dissolved.
- Fill the water container with warm water until it is around 4/5ths full.
- Add the ¼ cup Thieves Laundry Soap and the cap of Thieves Household Cleaner.
- Stir to combine and top up with more warm water.
- Use 1/4 cup per load and stir before use if it looks like it is starting to separate.
- Distilled water does help to ensure no bugs are going to be in the laundry liquid but that will add to the cost.
Delightful Dish Soap Hack
I love that you can make your Thieves Dish Soap go further. I got this idea from my friend Fiona Mofflin who makes hers into 2 bottles, but I like to get 3 bottles out of one.
Simply divide the Thieves Dish Soap into thirds. I save my empty dish soap bottles to use for this purpose.
Now in a glass measuring jug add:
- 1 tsp Epsom salts
- 1 tsp Bicarb
- 1 tsp Cornflour
- 230mls of boiling water
Stir to dissolve these ingredients and let them cool. Then add the cooled liquid to your dish soap bottles.
Super Shower Gel Hack
This is one of my fave money saving hacks. The Young Living ath and shower gels are SOOOO thick! I divide mine into 3 bottles and top up with HOT water (this is key). Turn the bottles upside down overnight to let everything mix, then shake well before each use.
Thrifty Thieves Mouthwash Hack
Thieves Mouthwash is another product that is so strong and potent. Simply mix 50/50 with water and it’s just right.
For more money saving hacks…
Check out our Youtube video. It’s an oldie, but a goodie. And how young do we look?!!!!