Today I’m going to talk about one of my favourite products – Thieves Laundry Soap.
The laundry is a place most mums spend a lot of time. In the past I have felt like my whole Saturdays were spent in either the laundry or at the clothes line. And you would like to think that the washing powder or liquid that you grabbed from the supermarket was safe, right? Uh ah.
Unfortunately the majority of the laundry soaps and detergents sold today are riddled with dangerous chemicals such as 1,4-dioxane; fragrance; Sodium Lauryl Sulphate; and more. We breathe in those chemicals as the laundry is being washed and dried AND we can even be absorbing them as we wear our clothes and snuggle into our sheets and towels. Yuck!
I remember when I first stayed at Jeremy’s town house. We had the window open and his next door neighbour was hanging out the washing. I was at least 10 metres away from their clothes line and could smell the laundry detergent. It was so overpowering I had to shut the window.
Why risk things like skin, nose, throat, and lung irritation or long-term effects to our organs and hormones? Some of these dangerous chemicals have even been linked to cancer yet they’re still readily available to us and marketed as “safe” and “normal.”
Thieves Laundry Soap is a natural alternative
Thankfully, Young Living wants nothing to do with those chemicals and has given you a legitimately SAFE solution with Thieves Laundry Soap. It is made of plant-based ingredients and leaves no chemical or synthetic residue so you can snuggle up with NO worries! It contains natural enzymes and cleaning agents and of course, the most powerful essential oils on the planet. Your clothes will be fresh and clean and left with a light citrus scent, not a heavy perfume.
The best part about the Thieves Laundry Soap is that it’s concentrated so a little goes a long way! You can get 64 loads with just one 947ml bottle, making it economic AND a safe alternative for your family.
With a formula that effectively and gently cleans clothing, Thieves Laundry Soap is made up of plant-based ingredients and leaves no chemical or synthetic residue. Natural enzymes and powerful essential oils leave your clothes fresh and clean with a light citrus scent—something that everyone in the family will love.
Thieves Laundry Soap is cheap, effective, and totally natural. As it is plant-base formula, Thieves Laundry Soap can be poured directly on to clothes safely. It truly is an amazing product.
Why is it called Thieves Laundry Soap?
The Thieves Laundry Soap gets its name from one of its main ingredients, Young Living’s Thieves essential oil. The Thieves essential oil blend was inspired by the legend of four 15th-century French thieves who formulated and wore a special aromatic combination of clove, rosemary, and other botanicals that they believed provided protection while they were stealing.
French authorities recognised that there was such value in this mixture that upon the thieves’ capture, they received a more merciful punishment on condition that they divulge the ingredients in their secret formula. [Read more about the Thieves essential oil blend here.]
What’s in Thieves Laundry Soap?
Let me walk you through all the ingredients, which they clearly label on the bottle. By the way – I didn’t have to Google a safety data sheet just to find it out.
I’ve also included each of these ingredients’ ratings on the EWG Skin Deep site—this is a database where thousands of products and also individual ingredients have been rated for their safety or toxicity. The ratings are on a scale of 1-10, with 1 being the least toxic and 10 being the most toxic.
A score of 1-2 is considered the lowest possible hazard and very safe. Every single one of the ingredients in Thieves Laundry Soap ranks in that very safe category.
Here are the ingredients:
- Water: Obviously some amount of water is necessary to make a liquid.
- Decyl glucoside: A plant-derived nonionic surfactant (cleaning agent) that biodegrades easily. Rated a 1 on EWG.
- Sodium oleate: Derived from olive oil, an ingredient that helps control suds/foaminess. Biodegradable and rated a 2 on EWG.
- Glycerin: Used to stabilize the natural cleaning enzymes. Rated a 2 on EWG.
- Caprylyl glucoside: Another plant-derived surfactant that biodegrades easily. Rated a 1 on EWG.
- Lauryl glucoside: Another plant-derived surfactant that biodegrades easily. Rated a 1 on EWG.
- Sodium chloride: That would be simple table salt. It affects the viscosity/thickness of the liquid.
- Sodium gluconate: A plant-derived anionic surfactant that biodegrades easily. Rated a 1 on EWG.
- Carboxymethyl cellulose: A plant-derived thickener and stabilizer. Rated a 1 on EWG.
- Alpha-amaylase, Protease, Lipase: These are all natural enzymes, which are very effective at breaking down organic particles that make up the stains and dirtiness on your clothes. Without enzymes, your clothes won’t be getting nearly as clean. These enzymes are 100% naturally-derived and are completely biodegradable.
- Essential Oils: Jade lemon oil, Bergamot oil, Clove oil, Lemon oil, Cinnamon bark oil, Eucalyptus radiata oil, and Rosemary oil: All the beautiful, purer-than-pure Young Living essential oils that were carefully chosen for their cleansing and purifying properties. Also, they smell amazing.
What’s NOT in the Thieves Laundry Soap?
Almost as important as what’s IN this product is what’s NOT in it. Because there’s a whole heap of chemical nasties that are added to most laundry liquids and powders – and none of them are good for you or your family.
So, here’s what Thieves Laundry Soap is saving your from:
- Optical brighteners: These are chemical ingredients that are added to most laundry detergents. They reflect light in a way that makes clothes appear brighter and whiter. It’s basically an optical illusion, that comes at a price. Optical brighteners can survive the waste water treatment plants and make their way into lakes and streams, polluting the water and causing harm to algae and fish, where they can bioaccumulate. Optical brighteners may also cause skin irritation and an allergic response in some people.
- Sodium laurel sulphate (SLS): You’ve probably heard of this ingredient before, as so many companies are now claiming their products are free of this potentially carcinogenic ingredient. In my research of ingredients in other supposedly “natural” laundry detergents, I found SLS in MANY of them—actually in ALL of the other plant-based brands I listed above. They claim that it is plant- derived and therefore safe, but the laws are so loose on what can be considered bio-based, that I don’t know if this is trustworthy or not. If you try to avoid SLS in your home, I’d highly recommend Thieves instead.
- Artificial fragrance: Of course the only fragrance in Thieves Laundry Soap is Thieves and other pure essential oils from Young Living. Synthetic fragrances can contain hundreds of chemicals with unknown toxicity and potential carcinogens.
- Water softeners: I noticed that the Thieves Laundry Soap doesn’t contain any mineral-based water softeners. So, if you have moderately-to-significantly hard water, you probably want to add a simple water softener like Borax or vinegar to prevent mineral buildup.
Thieves Laundry Soap Hack
We all like to save money right? Well here is a little hack to help your Thieves Laundry Soap go a little bit further.
Double Your Thieves Laundry Soap
Empty 1/2 Thieves Laundry Soap into glass jar or empty detergent bottle. Add 2 capfuls of Thieves Household Cleaner and fill rest of jug with water. (Optional: add 10 drops Young Living’s Purification essential oil blend) Shake and use as normal.
Want some more ways to go natural in your laundry? Try these awesome DIYs.
DIY Stain Spray
- ¼ cup Thieves Laundry Soap
- 2 TBSP Thieves Household Cleaner
- 10 drops Young Living Lemon essential oil
- Distilled water
Add ingredients to 240ml spray bottle. Mix well and use on stains as needed.
Laundry Scent Booster
Want a little extra fragrance in your laundry? Don’t do it with synthetic ingredients. Let’s use the real deal. Check out this easy recipe!
- 1 ½ cup epsom or sea salt
- ½ cup bicarb soda
- 20-30 drops Young Living essential oil(s) of choice
Combine ingredients and stir well. Let air dry and transfer to a glass jar with a lid. Add 2-3 TBSP to the washer before adding clothes. Add in laundry detergent as usual. Enjoy!
Swap Dryer Sheets for Wool Dryer Balls
Use wool dryer balls instead of toxic fabric softener sheets. Add to dryer with clothes to increase movement of laundry and thus cut down on drying times and energy use.
The more balls in the dryer the better! Add 3 drops of your choice of essential oil to each ball to freshen laundry. I like lavender for bedsheets and citrus fresh, cinnamon bark, Christmas spirit, thieves, purification or basil for my towels and clothes.
Attach safety pin to one dryer ball to cut down on static.
I have even used the Seedlings wipes to scent my towels. I just throw one into the dryer with the towels.
Learn more about going natural in your home
Would you like to learn how to have a Healthy Home and a Healthy Family? Maybe you have thought about Ditching and Switching to Low Tox Living but you aren’t sure where to start? Check out our Free Healthy Homes – Healthy Families Online workshop in the video below.