Young Living’s Thieves essential oil blend was inspired by the legend of four 15th-century French thieves who formulated and wore a special aromatic combination of clove, rosemary, and other botanicals that they believed provided protection while they were stealing. French authorities recognised that there was such value in this mixture that upon the thieves’ capture, they received a more merciful punishment on condition that they divulge the ingredients in their secret formula.
Gary Young, the Founder of Young Living was fascinated by this tale and wanted to know more. In addition to farming essential oils he spent hours in the British museum and library archives searching the stories. There were many versions, but they all led to the same conclusion from which Gary’s research ensued. As a result his research into the essential oil world has put this amazing oil blend into our hands.
Modern science answers our questions when we look at the chemical constituents and benefits of the different oils that make up this blend, which makes it easy to understand the reasoning of those thieves of long ago. Today there is so much research available for all those who want the details. For example, Clove is our protector; Cinnamon, our purifier; Eucalyptus, our oxygenator; Rosemary, our balancer; and Lemon uplifts us with its invigorating and enhancing beautiful citrus fragrance. The brilliance is in the combination, which was Gary’s secret from which we all benefit.
Original Four Thieves Vinegar Recipe
Take three pints of strong white wine vinegar, add a handful each of wormwood, meadowsweet, wild marjoram, and sage, fifty cloves, two ounces of campanula roots, two ounces of angelica, rosemary, and horehound, and three large measures of camphor. Next place the mixture in a container for fifteen days, strain, and express the bottle. Use it by rubbing it on the hands, ears, and temples from time to time when approaching a plague victim. *1
Furthermore the popular and powerful Young Living Thieves essential oil blend is a proprietary combination of Cinnamon Bark, Lemon, Rosemary, Eucalyptus, and Clove essential oils. In fact I often say it is the Young Living essential oil blend that has been robbed the most by other essential oil companies lol.
Did you know?
- Clove was one of the first spices to be traded and can be traced back as far as 1721 BC. Furthermore it was one of the most precious spices of the 16th and 17th centuries.
- Likewise Cinnamon spice has been used for centuries.
- Eugenol, the main constituent of Clove essential oil, has been heavily researched for its beneficial properties.
- Firstly Eucalyptus originates in Australia and did you know there are over 900 different species of eucalyptus
- Most important the Thieves essential oil blend contains Eucalyptus Radiate which is one of the most versatile eucalyptus oils.
- The rosemary herb was known by ancient cultures as the herb of memory.
- Great for cleaning surfaces with mould and mildew. Read more in my Hot Topic on Best Mould Remover
- Besides all this, the oil blend of Thieves essential oil was tested at Weber State University in Ogden, Utah, in 1998, and the scientific documentation was published with the most astounding results. *2
How to Use Thieves Essential Oil
Uses for Thieves Essential Oil
- Diffuse Thieves essential oil blend day or night to help purify and humidify the air. It kills up to 99% of airborne bacteria. I even add a drop to my mask.
- Refresh musty carpets by adding 5 drops of Thieves essential oil blend to a cup of bicarb soda; combine well and let sit overnight until the oil is absorbed. Sprinkle over carpets and vacuum thoroughly.
- Apply Thieves essential oil blend to the bottoms of your feet to refresh yourself after vigorous activity.
- Diffuse it around the classroom or in your home for a fresh, clean fragrance and to neutralise the air from strong odours.
- Add a few drops to your dishwater or dishwasher to eliminate odours and boost cleaning.
Benefits of Thieves Essential Oil
- This amazing blend cleanses when applied topically
- Thieves essential oil neutralises and purifies the air from strong odours when diffused
- Thieves essential oil freshens any atmosphere when diffused
Finally Thieves® essential oil blend is an integral ingredient in Thieves® Household Cleaner, Thieves® Fruit and Veggie Soak, Thieves® Laundry Soap, Thieves® Whitening Toothpaste and Thieves® Dentarome Ultra™ toothpaste, Thieves® Dish Soap, Thieves Hand Sanitiser.
Order your Thieves Essential Oil Blend here. Take advantage of wholesale pricing by becoming a Young Living member and save 24% off the retail price.
Ingredients of Thieves Essential Oil
Clove (Syzygium aromaticum), lemon (Citrus limon), cinnamon (Cinnamomum verum), Eucalyptus radiata and rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis CT 1,8 cineol)
Thieves Essential Oil Cautions
Possible skin sensitivity. You should consult your physician if pregnant or you have any health concerns. Always dilute. Keep out of reach of children.
1. Gattefossé, R-M, Gattefossé’s Aromatherapy. CW Daniel Company, LTD. First published in Paris, France, in 1937 by Girardot & Cie., 85-86.
2. Sue C. Chao, D. Gary Young & Craig J. Oberg (1998) Effect of a Diffused Essential Oil Blend on Bacterial Bioaerosols, Journal of Essential Oil Research, 10:5, 517-523, DOI: 10.1080/10412905.1998.9700958.