I never really get the whole Spring Clean thing as I like to keep my house clean throughout the year. This is why I have a cleaner who comes to my house every fortnight. She does the floors and the bathrooms in less than an hour, which would probably take me all Saturday morning. The rest of the cleaning each week is up to me. I do make sure even my cleaner uses the all natural Thieves Cleaning products. Not only are there no nasty chemicals for my family to breathe in but they clean so amazingly well too (Check out my before and after pics of the new Thieves Kitchen and Bath Scrub).
However it is a good idea to go through regularly and give your house a thorough clean and what better time than spring when the weather is starting to warm up. Here are my top 5 ways to supercharge your Spring Clean.
1. Try out the Thieves Kitchen and Bath Scrub for a spring clean.
It gives you the power of a surface scrub free of harmful chemical smells and residue. Thieves Kitchen and Bath Scrub gains its tough scrubbing power from nepheline syenite, a mineral we obtain from responsibly mined sources in Ontario, Canada; bicarb soda that gently absorbs odours; sodium percarbonate that releases oxygen when combined with water, providing a powerful boost of cleaning power against tough stains; and Young Living’s signature Thieves blend. Designed for use on multiple surfaces, Thieves Kitchen and Bath Scrub is your new naturally derived cleaner: tough on messes and safe for your family.
WHY WE LOVE IT FOR A SPRING CLEAN
- Chlorine-free all-purpose cleaner that is safe for use on porcelain, ceramic, copper alloys, fiberglass, Corian, brass, bronze, and chrome
- Easily cleans cookware, stove cooktops, countertops, tile, grout, bathtubs, faucets, toilets, backsplashes, barbecue grills, outdoor patio furniture, and exteriors without scratching
- Removes grease, dirt, grime, residue, and tough stains from most surfaces without harsh chemical smells or residue
- Formulated without harmful chemicals, synthetic surfactants, phosphates, synthetic perfumes or dyes, gluten-containing ingredients, or artificial colors or fragrances.
2. Add Lemon Essential Oil to your Spring Clean routine
- Lemon Essential Oil is useful for cleaning bathroom and kitchen surfaces. Especially when added to vinegar. On (very) rare occasions I’ve had people tell me that they don’t like the smell of the Thieves Household Cleaner so I suggest adding a few drops of lemon essential oil to this as it totally changes the aroma.
- Lemon Essential Oil helps remove sticky tape, crayon etc.
- Put a few drops of Lemon Essential Oil on your kitchen sponge. To keep it fresh.
- Use 1 drop of Lemon Essential Oil on newspaper and rub on glass to remove streaky marks.
- Use a few drops of Lemon Essential Oil to remove black shoe polish if you got a bit carried away on school photo day.
- Lemon Essential Oil is great as a furniture polish for light timbers
- Lemon essential oil is useful for removing stains from carpet and clothes.
- Make your own Toilet Bombs and throw a few in the toilet bowl every few days to keep it clean.
Toilet Bomb Recipe:
- 1 1⁄2 bicarb soda
- 1 cup citric acid
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp hydrogen peroxide
- 20-30 drops Young Living Lemon Essential Oil (you can also use peppermint, eucalyptus, pine, Thieves, Orange etc)
- In a bowl, mix the bicarb and citric acid together
- In a spray bottle, mix the vinegar and hydrogen peroxide with the essential oils and shake.
- Slowly spray the liquid on to the dry mixture, mixing it slowly to stop the citric acid from bubbling.
- Make sure the mixture is damp and a crumbly texture.
- Press in to ice cube trays or moulds and let dry overnight.
- Store in an airtight container
- Toss 1-2 of the toilet bombs in the toilet bowl and watch them fizz.
3. Use the Thieves Household Cleaner in all the ways
- Mix a capful (10mls) of the Thieves Household Cleaner into 300mls of water in a spray bottle to clean benches, windows, baths, toilets, showers, cars, bbq’s, ceiling fans and anything else that needs a spring clean.
- Add the Thieves Household Cleaner to the Rinse Aid section of your dishes for a natural solution.
- Soak your fruit and veggies in a kitchen sink full of water with a capful of Thieves Household Cleaner to wash off any residue if you are out of the Thieves fruit and veggies soak.
- Give your sheets a spring clean to bring back thier brightness by sheet stripping them (I got this recipe from my friend Fiona Mofflin)
- Fill bath with hottest water possible (Add 1 boiling kettle of water too)
- Add 1 cup washing soda (found in supermarket laundry aisle)
- 30mls Thieves household cleaner
- 1 tbsp Thieves laundry soap
- 15 drops of Digize essential oil blend
- Soak for at least 4 hours or until water cools. Wash items after you have finished soaking in just water then dry as normal.
4. Thieves Essential Oil is another must for your Spring Clean
Thieves essential oil is one of Young Living’s most popular products, and for great reason. One sniff (or quick PubMed search!) is all it takes to fall in love with this blend! It is the basis of the Thieves range of cleaning products.
- Diffuse several drops of Thieves Essential Oil for clean air and a comforting, homey aroma.
- Mix 4-5 drops of Thieves Essential Oil blend to 100ml water in a spray bottle to spray on surfaces such as tv remote, phone, etc. Or use the handy little Thieves spray. You can add Thieves Essential Oil to pretty much every cleaning recipe or even your homemade laundry soaps.
- Add a few drops of Thieves Essential Oil blend to dishwasher powder for cleaner dishes. Careful to avoid plastic parts in your dishwasher as essential oils can dissolve plastic.
- Add 5-10 drops of Thieves essential oil blend to mop water for cleaner floors.
5. Try some Purification Essential Oil Blend
- Add 5 drops of Purification Essential Oil to the final rinse water in washing machine to help keep it clean.
- Add 5 drops of Purification Essential Oil to 15ml of vinegar to the final rinse in washing machine to help with the kids smelly clothes/bedding/school hats etc.
- Use 6 drops of Purification essential oil with 15ml of Vinegar to clean floors.
- Use 15-20 drops of Purification essential oil blend in the air conditioning filter. Careful to avoid plastic parts.
- Use 8-10 drops Purification essential oil blend in a new vacuum cleaner bag.
- Use a few drops of Purification essential oil blend on your mop or steam cleaner.
- Diffuse or add a few drops of Purification essential oil blend to the washing machine rinse cycle to rid the house and clothes of mildew smells.
- Make carpet deodoriser to spring clean your carpets.
- Empty Glass Spice Jar
- Sea Salt
- Bicarb soda
- 20 drops Purification essential oil blend
Fill 1/8 of the spice jar with salt. Top up the rest of the jar with bicarb soda. Add in the essential oils but shake between every 3-4 drops so they dont all end up in the one spot. Shake over your carpet. Leave for 10 minutes and then vacuum up.
For more great ways to use Purification essential oil blend for your Spring Clean check out 20 Uses for Purification Essential Oil.
And for more Spring Clean DIY recipes check out our DIY Spring Cleaning video.