In the beginning I was too scared to diffuse essential oils around my baby. My husband’s Aunty had given us an essential oil blend before Kaitlyn was born and after smelling it I put it away in the bathroom cabinet. Even though they call it Gentle Baby I thought it was way too strong for anyone to be diffusing around babies. But after nights of no sleep and a baby who used to wake up every time I laid her down in a bassinet or cot, I was desperate. So I started experimenting by diffusing different essential oils to see what worked.
I started low and slow with only a few drops in the diffuser and with it running for only 15 minutes at a time in the beginning. Then, as she got older I was able to increase the drops and the length of time I would run the diffuser for.
Some of my favourite essential oils and blends to diffuse with babies are:
- Lemon try this first – it is cheaper and as it is pressed from the rind it is less strong than steam distilled essential oils.
- Myrtle is a great alternative to eucalyptus for under 3 year olds.
- Lavender for calming and sleep
- Roman Chamomile
- Valor – this a a Young Living Blend that I absolutely love.
- Gentle Baby
- Seedlings Calm
- Peace & Calming
- Kidscents SleepIse
- Use only one drop per oil and no more than 2 drops per diffuser blend listed below.
- Diffuse for a short period of time (ie 15 minutes).
- When diffusing around infants and babies it is best to keep the doors of small rooms open so as to allow fresh air to circulate.
- Put the diffuser away from the cot.
- Babies and menthol don’t mix. Don’t use peppermint or wintergreen or even eucalyptus with children under 3, because 1 in 10,000 babies can go in to respiratory arrest from menthol from a full on inhalation.
- Finally, remember every child is different and may react differently.
Why Use Quality Essential Oils?
There are almost no regulations and safety measures for the essential oil industry. Surprisingly, when the essential oils found in chemists, supermarkets, department stores, online, and even from other oil companies have been tested they have found harsh synthetic fillers and chemicals. A cheap perfume grade oil is distilled at high pressure and high temps and usually with chemical solvents. This yields an adulterated oil that companies can still label “100% pure”… which, in my opinion, is a scary thing especially if your baby is breathing it in!
Young Living decided to rise above this and create their own strict guidelines to ensure purity. They call it their Seed to Seal Quality Commitment. They abide by very strict guidelines to fulfill their promise in sending only the best products to your home:
- plant material that is grown on corporately-owned farms or carefully vetted partner farms (that you CAN visit!)
- sustainable farming and sourcing practices, providing the purest oil
- great care taken to preserve and protect natural resources
- hand-weeded fields and ZERO use of pesticides
- oils that retain all their natural constituents and therapeutic properties
- use of food-grade distillers with state-of-the-art design and distillation methods
- low pressure and low temperature distillation, without the use of solvents or synthetic chemicals
- rigorous testing on each batch by internal labs and third-party facilities
- oils that are carefully reviewed through every step of production in order to meet or exceed industry safety and purity standards (beyond organic!)
And the best part… if the oils do not meet these high standards Young Living reject them and they won’t bottle or sell them. Now you can rest easy tonight knowing you are diffusing only the best around your babies.
Here are some of my favourite diffuser recipes to use around babies:
Finally, you can learn which diffuser is best to use for your babies room in my Diffusers – Which essential oil diffuser should I choose? post.