For years I’ve made a lot of my own natural products and created natural cleaning recipes as a way of eliminating chemicals from my home. Even when I was just a little girl in primary school I made a mouthwash, lip balm and a cold cream for a science fair at school. How’s that for starting young? Best of all, it was my Grandma’s cold cream recipe that she had been making for years.
These days many of my friends ask me how I have the time to make all these things from scratch, what with a full time job, oil business and two young children. Simple. I involve my girls in making the products and I find it saves me time as I no longer go down the cleaning or beauty aisle in the supermarket.
I have most of the ingredients on hand to whip up another batch, so when I run out something there’s no need to duck down to the shops and buy it.
Plus, I often make extra so I can have gifts on hand for my family and friends birthdays, which again saves me time at the shops thinking of gifts.
So, here are five of my absolute favourite DIY natural cleaning recipes for you to try. They’re super-simple. And of course, the best thing is that they are all no-tox and guaranteed to make your home a healthier and happier place – for you and your family!
[Want to know more about this? Check out my post – Are our cleaning products killing us?]
Grandma loved sharing her recipes with me. So, I hope you enjoy making these as much as I do!
- 2 cups Liquid Castile Soap
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 5 drops Young Living Citrus Fresh Essential Oil Blend
- Combine all the ingredients in a squeezy bottle.
- Don’t be tempted to add too much lemon juice as the mixture will curdle.
- 125g Citric Acid
- 250g Bicarb Soda
- 125g Washing Soda
- 20 drops Thieves Essential Oil blend
- 1 cup Bicarb soda
- 1/8 cup salt
- 10 drops Purification essential oil blend
- 10 drops Lemongrass essential oil
- Mix the bicarb with the salt to remove any lumps.
- Slowly add the essential oils
- Put in to a salt and pepper shaker.
- Shake on to carpets, leave for 15 minutes before vacuuming
- 1 ½ bicarb soda
- 1 cup citric acid
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp hydrogen peroxide
- 20-30 drops Young Living Essential Oil (lemon, peppermint, eucalyptus, pine, Thieves, Orange etc)
- In a bowl, mix the bicarb and citric acid together
- In a spray bottle, mix the vinegar and hydrogen peroxide with the essential oils and shake.
- Slowly spray the liquid on to the dry mixture, mixing it slowly to stop the citric acid from bubbling.
- Make sure the mixture is damp and a crumbly texture.
- Press in to ice cube trays or moulds and let dry overnight.
- Store in an airtight container
- Toss 1-2 of the toilet bombs in the toilet bowl and leave to do their job.
Deep Cleaning Scrub
- A spray bottle
- ½ cup baking soda
- ½ cup white vinegar
- ½ capful Thieves Household Cleaner
- ½ tablespoon Thieves Dish Soap
- 2 drops Thieves essential oil blend
Combine all liquid ingredients in the spray bottle (we’ll use the baking soda in the next step.)
Making sure to avoid the heating elements in your oven, sprinkle baking soda liberally on the bottom of the oven, then spray with the liquid mixture.
Let mixture sit until it stops bubbling.
Scrub stubborn spots with a sponge.
Want MORE simple & natural cleaning recipes?
I’ve got you covered! Grab a copy of my Ultimate Natural Cleaning Guide for FREE right now. Click here to grab your copy.