Before I talk about the best essential oils for self care, I need to ask you an important question…
Do you prioritise self care?
Here’s the problem. As a mum I always put everyone else first but as I’m sure we all know you can’t pour from an empty cup.
Sometimes my life is so busy just doing the things that I feel need to be done. I don’t have the time or the energy to give to my children or to my relationship in the way I really want. I’ve often said if only I had more time… My business would be growing faster. I could spend more time with my children. I could dedicate more time to my relationship.
I’m often too busy to even spend time with my family and friends. I imagine a time somewhere in the future where I will have more time to spend time on the things in my life that really matter. But that time just never seems to come. I was living each day feeling stressed and overwhelmed by all that I had to do and my to do list just kept growing.
When we are on our death beds I doubt we will be wanting more money or wishing we spent more time at work. We will be wanting more time. More time with the people we really love. So don’t wait till someday. Make time for the people who matter most today. When you schedule out your week plan your family time and time with your partner first. Plan time for some self care too.
So how can we make self care easy and not cost the earth?
A morning routine might be the most important thing you do in a day. A solid morning routine will set you up for success throughout the rest of your day. It will make you feel GREAT and ready to tackle the world. Spend a half an hour a day taking care of yourself and you will optimise your productivity all day long. I have come up with ten activities for you to accomplish in the morning for ultimate self care. They will set you up for success, which is why you should incorporate these practice into your daily routine.
Morning Routine for Self Care
- Make your bed.
- Drink a glass of water when you wake up.
- Drink a Lemon Juice and a Young Living NingXia Red Shot.
- Wash your face and brush your teeth.
- Take your Young Living supplements.
- Eat a balanced breakfast.
- Exercise or take a little time to move, stretch, do yoga, dance, etc.
- Pamper yourself (use a skin brush, take a bath, or exfoliate with a coffee skin scrub – see recipe below).
- Take three deep breaths.
- Find gratitude in your life/journal.
Use Young Living Essential Oils Daily
When I first began my low tox journey, I never knew just how much essential oils would change my life for the better. Even filling up my diffuser in the mornings makes me feel more in control. My emotions are way more balanced and my stress is definitely reduced.
Stress has a physiological effect on the body, it’s not just about feeling a little happier! Emotional distress is very often related to lack of sleep and hormonal imbalance. Maintaining a healthy balance between neurotransmitters and hormones keeps our emotions and mood balanced as well.
Essential oils can be one tool combined with dietary strategies (like reducing sugar and caffeine intake, and making sure you get enough healthy dietary fat) and self care rituals to reduce stress on an emotional and physiological level, as well as elevate mood. Some of my favourite Young Living Essential Oils for Self Care include:
- Present Time™ – helps you focus on the here and now so you can move beyond the past and progress forward. This blend is balancing, calming, empowering and may promote relaxation. Present Time is especially helpful for those who are dealing with buried emotions or those who have wandering minds; this grounding blend can bring alignment back to the mind and body during times of uncertainty.
- Joy™ – is an uplifting blend of pure essential oils that creates magnetic energy and brings happiness to the heart, inspiring romance and togetherness. This blend is calming, balancing, uplifting and relaxing. Joy has an alluring and sweet scent, and can promote love, happiness, and confidence. Use Joy to help release emotional blocks.
- Aroma Life™ uses Marjoram and Ylang Ylang essential oils to energise the life force and relax the body and spirit while encouraging vitality and longevity. Used to support the feelings of the heart, Aroma Life is harmonising, calming, and emotionally balancing. This essential oil blend is designed to open the heart and release stress.
- Gratitude – Foster a grateful attitude and embrace the blessings in your life. The uplifting aroma of Gratitude™ invites a feeling of emotional and spiritual progress. This wonderful, empowering essential oil blend was designed to quieten down, soothe, and elevate the mind while bringing relaxation to the body.
- Humility – True humility is the foundation of emotional strength. Humility™ is a balancing blend of pure essential oils that promote deeper spiritual and emotional awareness. This calming and empowering blend encourages forgiveness, humility, transformation, and acceptance. Using Humility may help release emotions of inadequacy and bitterness, and bring positive emotions such as self-worth, contentment, humility, and faith.
- Surrender™ is a blend of Lavender, Black Spruce, Roman Chamomile, and other essential oils that provides aromas to help cast off inhibitions that may be controlling your life or limiting your potential. This comforting blend was created to help balance and calm the emotions and clear the mind. This blend may help us surrender to a more open mind.
- Release™ is a blend with a relaxing aroma that facilitates the ability to let go of anger and frustration. It also promotes harmony and balance when diffused. Use this calming and grounding blend to help release negative emotions and move forward towards emotional freedom. Release can help increase emotional strength and encourage one to open up about the past or bottled feelings.
- Forgiveness™ contains an aroma that supports the ability to forgive yourself and others while letting go of negative emotions, an important part of personal growth. Containing 15 different therapeutic grade essential oils, this powerful spiritual blend is releasing, soothing and uplifting. Forgiveness may help release negative emotions and memories faster by raising spiritual awareness.
- Young Living’s Believe™ essential oil blend can help you overcome feelings of despair and move to a higher level of awareness. Realising your unlimited potential, this blend contains balsam fir and frankincense, encouraging feelings of strength and faith. Believe can bring emotional and spiritual balance, restore hope and desire, and release negative feelings of despair and inadequacy. This essential oil blend is uplifting, steadying, balancing, grounding, and empowering.
- Harmony™ is a blend of pure essential oils that contains scents to provide an uplifting aromatic experience. This spiritual and emotional blend is balancing and calming, and may help with releasing emotional burdens, focus, stubbornness, or restlessness, by creating harmonic balance in the mind, spirit and body.
- Inner Child™ stimulates memory response to help you connect with your authentic self and take steps towards finding emotional balance. This soothing and calming blend promotes acceptance and allows us to move forward, working to release things that are holding us back. Using Inner Child can give us the space to process the thoughts and emotions that are keeping us from moving forward.
Introducing essential oils into my home sprouted something beautiful and I know they can help you too.
Pamper yourself – It’s a great self care ritual
One way I like to pamper myself is to lay in the bath and use some natural body products. I love to make my own so I know exactly what’s in them.
Here is a clean recipe for an invigorating body scrub perfect for exfoliation and managing any bubbly skin problem areas (wink wink):
Coffee Self Care Skin Scrub Recipe
- 240ml glass jar with lid
- 10 drops Young Living Grapefruit essential oil
- 5 drops Young Living Cypress essential oil
- 1 cup unbrewed ground coffee
- ½ cup olive oil or other oil of your choosing.
- Combine all ingredients.
- Mix together well.
- Store in a cool dark place.
- Apply scrub all over in the shower a few times a week to desired areas such as thighs, belly, and arms, and rinse off.
Learn more about self care in my Hot Topic – Easy Self Care Rituals.