Did you know Young Living has a naturally derived dish soap? If you haven’t seen or heard about Thieves Dish Soap, do yourself and your family a favour and try it! It will effectively clean your dishes without harsh chemicals, dyes, or synthetics. Jade Lemon™, Bergamot, and Thieves essential oil blend complete the formula with their naturally occurring constituents.
You may think, “Why do I need to worry about the soap I use to wash my dishes? I am not eating them or putting them on my body.” That’s correct! You aren’t eating the plate for lunch. However, you do put food ON your dishes, the food picks up the detergent residue on the dishes and then you ingest the food. That means that you ARE ingesting the detergent.
Chemicals you could be ingesting
Have you ever looked at what ingredients are lurking on those labels? Sadly many of them – even the “green” products – contain ingredients you do NOT want in your house or anywhere near your family. Let’s take a look at a few.
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) and Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES) – These are surfactants commonly used as an emulsifying cleaning agent in household cleaning products (laundry detergents, spray cleaners, and dishwasher detergents). In other words they keep things mixed up and help them create lather. Oftentimes they are synthetically derived and have the potential to cause skin irritation.
- Triclosan – This is found in many antibacterial soaps, hand sanitizers, and detergents as well as some toothpastes, deodorants, cosmetics, plastics, and more. It can affect the thyroid and endocrine system and was recently banned by the FDA in America to be used in “antiseptic washes” but can still be found in products in Australia including like toothpaste, cosmetics, and even clothing, kitchenware, furniture, and toys.
- Fragrance – The word “fragrance” can appear on a label and contain an enormous list of ingredients that a company is not required to disclose, as it is considered a ‘trade secret.’ That means a product could contain some awful ingredients and the consumer wouldn’t even know! These chemicals could be linked to cancer, reproductive and developmental toxicity, allergies and sensitivities. Why take the risk?
You also inhale the chemicals as the dishwasher releases them during washing. AHHHHH time to use the Thieves Dish Soap in the dishwasher too or make a Natural Dishwashing Powder.
What makes Thieves Dish Soap Different?
The fact that the entire family uses dishes makes it very important to make sure your kitchen products are safe for everyone. Easily swap out your not so safe dish soap for this no-tox product. This is a powerhouse cleaner infused with Jade Lemon, Bergamot, Clove, Lemon, Cinnamon, and Rosemary essential oils. It contains one of the most gentle surfactants around, often used in baby shampoo, called Decyl Glucoside. Perfect for the most sensitive skin. And let me tell you about the HEAPS of Thieves Dish Soap uses!
Thieves Dish Soap contains:
- Surfactants: These are naturally derived from natural sources such as glucose, palm trees, and coconuts. Surfactants are needed for different reasons: They act as cleansing and foaming agents, and they also act as stabilizers to make sure you don’t get an overload of bubbles as you wash your dishes! Because they are naturally derived, our surfactants are biodegradable and have been tested and proven to be non-irritants to your skin. Our formula pairs the surfactants with natural salts, because it has been proven that these two ingredients work synergistically to boost cleaning properties!
- Minerals (Sodium sesquicarbonate): This naturally derived ingredient balances the pH in the formula, which means that no preservatives are needed! The minerals are extracted from trona ore, a mineral that is found near the Green River area.
- Jade Lemon essential oil: Jade Lemon has a unique lemon-lime scent that is pleasing and uplifting. Its wonderful, zesty fragrance is clean and inviting.
- Bergamot essential oil: Bergamot’s aroma is tart yet sweet and uplifting yet relaxing, making it a popular oil in perfumes, cosmetics, and lotions. In addition to its scent, Bergamot has attracted attention for its cleansing properties, and it’s often used as a luxurious ingredient in shampoos, soaps, and cleansers.
- Thieves essential oil blend: Thieves is a powerful combination of Clove, Lemon, Cinnamon, Eucalyptus Radiata, and Rosemary essential oils for an aromatic blend that fills any space with a rich, spicy aroma. It includes the naturally occurring constituents trans cinnamaldehyde, limonene, and eucalyptol. It’s known for its cleansing properties, and it neutralises and purifies odours.
Thieves Dish Soap doesn’t foam up
Don’t be fooled by few bubbles while washing. Did you know that bubbles in your soap doesn’t mean it can effectively clean? Suds are due to sulfates or surface surfactants! This all-natural dishwashing liquid contains only the natural grease-cutting power of essential oils and plant-based ingredients to leave your dishes sparkling and residue-free! It’s free from chemical and synthetic ingredients that may cause irritation and other unknown adverse health side effects.
Now, I’m going to share two awesome, money-saving dish soap hacks with you.
Thieves Dish Soap Hack 1
Young Living makes so many of their products as highly concentrated substances. That means a little goes a LONG way!
To make your Thieves Dish Soap last longer and give you all kinds of bubbles:
Put 2/3 Thieves dish soap in a glass jar leaving 1/3 in the squeeze bottle. (Once you have a spare Thieves dish soap bottle, you can use that.)
Add 1-3 tsp of bicarb soda into the original bottle.
Fill the rest of the bottle with water.
Stir the mixture thoroughly. The Bicarb soda will add all kinds of bubbles and you just got THREE bottles of dish soap in one! So much more affordable.
Another Dish Soap Hack – with a twist
Get 3 Bottles From One, With Lotsa Bubbles! This is from our oily sister Sonia Broughton.
I tried the usual hack with the bicarb soda and it just doesn’t work for me and bubbles disappear instantly with our harsh water. Well finally I found one that works. YAY. Here’s a great hack that will save you tons of money PLUS give you bubbles galore! Even though you don’t need them. we just love to see our bubbles and you can do it safely .
Turn ONE bottle into THREE, by adding 1 Tbsp of Young Living’s Bath & Shower Gel Base to one-third of a bottle of Thieves Dish Soap, then fill with water – and there you have it. The bubbles lasted right the way through my whole wash and my washing up was cleaner. You can also add a couple of drops of Young Living Lemon essential oil.
Did you also know that the Young Living bath shower gel base can be used to make your hand wash or even make your own scented body wash by adding young living essential oils.
And you can make a Soap Scum Remover!
What if I told you that there is a product to remove soap scum off your glass or tiles that smells like Lemon icing and works brilliantly???
This is always said to be “such a tough job”. Well you will be so glad you saw this.
- Mix equal parts bi-carb soda and Thieves Dish Soap (For example 1 tablespoon of each to do a huge shower screen front and back.)
- Add 5 drops of Young Living Lemon Essential Oil and mix into a paste.
Wipe this all over the surfaces, it only needs to be a thin application. More often you can feel it on there rather than see it thanks to the soap and lemon oil. Spend a short amount of time lightly scrubbing up -down, side to side until the entire surface has been covered. Rinse it all of thoroughly then, dry it. If you want that “just installed new look” Then quickly polish the surface with a dry microfibre cloth. It doesn’t take long and the results are so good.
Make your own super Shower Cleaner
Here’s a fun DIY you can do with TWO of my favourite Thieves products. Combine one thick squirt (about a tablespoon) of Thieves Dish Soap, 2-3 capfuls of Thieves Household Cleaner, and water into a dish scrub brush. Use this mixture to wipe down shower grout, tile, scrub your oven, or any other heavy cleaning!
And I learnt from Nicole McDonald over the weekend that she uses this to clean the kids dirty marks off the walls. We love the convenience of this mixture and even better, that it’s plant-based and free of harsh chemicals!
All-natural Jewellery Cleaner
- ½ capful Thieves Household Cleaner
- 4-6 drops Thieves Dish Soap
- 1 drop Young Living lemon essential oil
- 15mls witch hazel or vodka
Combine in a small glass and soak for 30 minutes. Brush gently with a soft toothbrush or brush and rinse well under fresh water.
If you are interested in learning more about natural cleaning I have a free Ultimate Guide to Natural, Green Cleaning e-book. It’s 45 pages full of my favourite natural cleaning recipes and tips. I love giving you guys free stuff. I hope you love it too.