There is nothing better than making your own natural body products. They make great hand made gifts to give to your friends or family. Or regifts even lol.
Funny story I once gave a colleague at work some handmade goats milk soap I had made and some body wash for Christmas as she had been telling me how bad her eczema was. I had suggested she try natural body products as the sodium Lauryl sulphate in many shop bought products dries skin out and can make eczema worse.
9 months later when my birthday came around guess what I got? My handmade soap back. I honestly don’t think she remembered that I gave it to her in the first place. She probably thought “she is into this natural stuff so I’ll give her the soap I’ve never used.” Still to this day I wonder what happened to the body wash.
Natural body products are even a really nice pampering treat for yourself. Best of all you know exactly what is in the products and how natural they are. After all who wants nasty petrochemicals and synthetic fragrances in the products we are putting on our skin. If you want to read more about which nasty ingredients to avoid in skin, hair and body products check out Spring Clean Your Beauty Bag.
Now I’ve done my research over the years and I only use and recommend Young Living essential oils in all of my natural body products. Every essential oil I use is a harmful chemical I lose. Plus If I wouldn’t eat an ingredient then I don’t put it on my skin.
I hope you enjoy making these 6 natural body products.
DIY Body Wash – Natural Body Products
- Castile Liquid Soap
- 10-15 drops of Young Living essential oil
- 1-2 Vitamin E Capsules (optional)
- Distilled Water
- Foaming Hand Soap Dispenser
Essential Oil suggestion for natural body products – Lavender essential oil, Joy Essential Oil blend or Stress Away Essential Oil blend. Or why not try my Morning Pick Me Up Recipe in this graphic. >>>>
- Fill 1/4 of the foaming hand soap bottle with the castile soap
- Add 10-15 drops of your favourite essential oils and pierced Vitamin E capsules. I buy the Vitamin E in capsules as I find it lasts longer than the liquid Vitamin E which seems to go rancid quickly.
- Fill slowly with distilled water and use everyday.
Unbelievable Treat for Feet – Natural Body Products
Do your heels feel dry and sometimes crack? Try this awesome treat for your feet. I love to pop it on at night time and even put socks on so it can do its job
- 1/2 cup shea butter
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup V6 Vegetable Carrier oil (this is a mix of 7 different vegetable, nut and seed oils that is very luxurious for your skin)
- 10-15 drops your favourite Young Living essential oil
- Combine all the ingredients in a double boiler or small saucepan over medium heat.
- Heat until everything is melted.
- Pour into another bowl and let cool for a good hour (in the fridge if you’re in a hurry), or until the oils are just starting to consider re-solidifying (this is important – you won’t be able to whip it up if they’re still too liquid).
- When the oil mixture is starting to solidify around the edges, start beating with a hand mixer. Continue for a few more minutes, or until it looks kind of like whipped cream, forming stiff peaks.
- Transfer to a jar or other storage. Should keep for a long while. Best kept in the fridge.
Cinnamon and Orange Facial Scrub
A lot of commercial face scrubs on the market are quite abrasive on our skin and leave tiny scratches we can’t see. These scratches over time can add to the fine lines that nobody wants, right? This wonderful cinnamon and orange facial scrub is a luxurious blend to treat your skin to once or twice a week. Make this mixture up immediately before use and use up all the mixture. You can add to other parts of your body that may need it if you have more than enough for your face and neck.
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 4 tablespoons almond meal
- Natural yogurt
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ½ teaspoon powdered cinnamon (I haven’t used Cinnamon Bark essential oil in this recipe as it is a hot oil and too hot for the face).
- 2 drops Young Living Stress Away Essential Oil Blend
- 3 drops Young Living Orange Essential Oil
- Combine the almond meal and orange zest in a bowl and add the yogurt until a good thick paste is formed.
- Melt the honey over a very low heat, then add to the almond meal mixture and mix well.
- Add the cinnamon powder and essential oils and mix well.
- Massage the mixture over your face and neck gently, avoid the eye area.
- Rinse off the scrub with warm water before applying a toner and moisturiser.
All Natural Cleansing Cream
This luscious cleansing cream is suitable for dry, mature skins and is excellent for removing stubborn make-up.
- 1 tablespoon beeswax (grated)
- ½ cup Young Living V6 Carrier oil
- 1 tablespoon distilled water
- 3 drops Young Living Frankincense Essential Oil
- 2 drops Young Living Lavender Essential Oil
- 3 drops Young Living Lemon Essential Oil
- Add the beeswax and the V6 carrier oil to a glass pyrex jug. Sit this jug in a fry pan of simmering water and melt ingredients together.
- Meanwhile add the distilled water to another pyrex jug and sit this in the fry pan of simmering water also.
- Once the wax and oil mixture has melted together and the water has warmed, slowly start to add the distilled water, drop by drop (preferably using a dropper/pipette) to the wax and oil mixture.
- After you have added about ½ tablespoon of the water into the wax and oil mixture, remove from the heat.
- Continue to add the water slowly, mixing continuously with a small whisk.
- Once the mixture starts to thicken add the essential oils and mix in with the whisk.
- Divide the cleanser into sterilized glass jars.
- Cover tightly and label the product, including the date.
Gentle Refreshening Toner
This gentle refreshening toner is suitable for all skin types. You may add oils of your choice as long as to keep to the quantities suggested here.
- ½ cup floral waters such as a lavender, rosemary or helichrysum if you have particularly unhappy skin
- 3 drops Young Living Lemon Essential Oil
- 2 drops Young Living Purification Essential Oil Blend
- 3 drops Young Living Lavender Essential Oil
- ½ cup distilled water
- Add the distilled water and the floral water to a dark glass bottle using a funnel
- Add the essential oils and shake well.
- Cover tightly and label the toner, including the date. Remember if natural products smell off they are off. They won’t last forever as there is no nasty preservatives in them.
- Shake well before each use.
Deodorant – Natural Body Products Recipe
- 3 Tbs Coconut oil
- 3 Tbs Bicarb Soda
- 2 Tbs Shea Butter
- 2 Tbs Arrowroot (optional)
- 12 drops Young Living Purification Essential Oil Blend
- Melt shea butter and coconut oil in a double boiler over medium heat until barely melted.
- Remove from heat and add bicarb soda and arrowroot (If you don’t have arrowroot, use more baking soda)
- Mix well
- Add essential oils and pour into a glass container for storage. It does not need to be stored in the fridge.
- If you prefer, you can let it cool completely and put into an old deodorant stick for easier use, though it may melt in the summer.
Wanting more recipes for natural body products?
If you want more awesome DIY recipes then I have a free recipe ebook that’s perfect for you. It’s called “If I wouldn’t eat it then I’m not going to use it on my body”. You can get it by clicking here.