I started making these nut free bliss balls out of necessity. My girls love my homemade bliss balls but because they contain nuts they can’t take them to school. It is a nut free zone. I find this a little annoying given that the main agricultural industry in our LGA is Macadamia Farming. But anyhoo.
So for school lunch boxes I make these nut free bliss balls which are a yummy jaffa treat. I use raw cacao powder to give it a chocolate taste without the sugar or dairy and a drop of Young Living Orange essential oil to give it an orange flavour.
A lot of people ask me Can you use Essential Oils in food or drink and the answer is yes, so long as they are labelled fro this use and you use common sense. Check out my blog post for more information about this.
I’m sure your kids will enjoy this Nut Free Bliss Balls recipe as much as my girls.
Nut Free Bliss Balls Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups pepita seeds
- 1 cup dates
- 1/2 cup wolf (goji) berries
- 40g raw cacao powder
- 1 tbs agave syrup
- 3 drops of Young Living Orange essential oil (this is an essential oil labelled for culinary use)
- Sulphite free desiccated coconut to roll balls in. I have even experimented with rolling the in the raw cacao powder or even red beetroot powder. I told the girls they were red velvet (like the cupcakes).
- Put all ingredients except Orange essential oil in thermomix speed 9 for 30-40 seconds or a food processor.
- Drop the 3 drops of Young Living Orange essential oil into your palms and then using your hands knead the mix to add in the flavour.
- Roll small amounts of the mixture into little balls, between your palms
- Roll the balls in desiccated coconut
- Refrigerate and Enjoy!
For more great recipes download a copy of my free Cooking with Oils Makes Good Scents book.