Melissa Essential Oil | Young Living Australia
Melissa essential oil comes from the melissa plant, also known as lemon balm and is part of the Lamiaceae (mint) family. The name “lemon balm” comes from the Greek word for “balsamon,” meaning a sweet-smelling oil. Young Living Melissa essential oil comes from our St. Maries farm in Idaho, where the oil is steam distilled from aerial parts of the plant before it flowers.
Melissa essential oil has a grassy, lemony scent that creates a pleasant, calming atmosphere, and you can find it in Young Living blends such as Humility™, Forgiveness™, and Hope™. Additionally, Melissa is commonly found in cosmetics and personal care products because of its skin-beneficial properties.
This aromatic member of the mint family has a bright, sweet, citrusy taste that brings together the acidity of lemon with subtle hints of mint. Melissa essential oil can add a dynamic flavour to many dishes including iced tea, fruit or vegetable salads, vinaigrettes, soups and seafood dishes.
Ideas for using Melissa Essential Oil
- Add a couple of drops to your favourite body lotion and apply to skin in the evening for added moisture and a calming aroma.
- Diffuse in the evening or during quiet times of the day to create a soothing, comforting atmosphere.
- Add a few drops to your nightly skincare routine to support healthy-looking skin.
- Given its sweet, citrusy flavour, Melissa essential oil is commonly used in desserts like lemon tea cookies and lemon poppyseed loaf.
- Make a delicious lemon balm tea by infusing syrup with Melissa and adding to your next batch of iced tea.
- Try adding 1 – 2 drops of Melissa to fruit or vegetable salads.
- Add Melissa to a lemony dressing made with olive oil and vinegar.
- Garnish seafood dishes with the bright, citrusy taste of Melissa.
- Melissa can also act as a substitute for lemon peel in dishes like sauces and soups.
How to Use Melissa Essential Oil
Topical: Apply 2-4 drops directly to desired area. Dilution not required, except for sensitive skin.
Aromatic: Diffuse up to 1 hour 3 times daily.
Culinary: Add to food or drink recipes to create another layer of flavour.
Caution: Keep out of reach of children. For external use only. Keep away from eyes and mucous membranes. If you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition, consult a health professional prior to use.
Storage: Keep in a cool, dark place.
Melissa (Melissa officinalis) † essential oil
†100% pure, therapeutic-grade essential oil
All orders are dispatched within 48 hours of receipt of order. Please allow up to 5 business days for deliveries to metro areas and up to 10 business days for deliveries to the Northern Territory and remote areas.
Young Living embraces a rigorous quality control standard to help ensure our products meet strict specifications. Seed to Seal is our set of standards that helps ensure that with every pure essential oil and Young Living product your family uses, you’re enjoying the benefits of our global resources, industry leadership, and over two decades of innovation.