In my aromatherapy practice, I focus on women’s health and that means a lot of time talking to women about the importance of maintaining healthy hormones. Most of the women with whom I work, experience some or all of following:
- A Rollercoaster of up or down moods
- Hormonal challenges whether during menopause or at particular times during their monthly cycle
- Issues maintaining a healthy weight.
A co-worker of mine, Pamela Lund is a Life Coach for women and she likens healthy hormonal balance to the four legs of a table. If just one of the legs is wonky then the table is unbalanced and could topple over. The four legs are:
- Stress – The female endocrine system (hormonal system) is very sensitive to stress. This could be from too much work and not enough sleep. The modern-day pressures women experience trying to juggle everything that is expected of them, without adopting good stress management techniques, puts a strain on their sympathetic nervous system. Under chronic stress, cortisol levels rise and this can cause a reduction in other hormones being produced.
- Diet and Exercise – eating the wrong foods for your body, or too many processed foods, not getting enough good fats to make hormones, not drinking enough water and not exercising regularly all impact on being able to maintain healthy hormones.
- Emotional stress from past traumas that have been stored away because they weren’t fully dealt with at the time all impact on hormone production. Emotional toxins can be just a harmful on our well-being as environmental and chemical ones.
- Physical hormones such as progesterone and oestrogen. Progesterone is a hormone found in both men and women that is generally associated with women’s health. It plays an important role in influencing menstrual cycles, pregnancy, and menopause. Genetic makeup, environmental influences, and other factors can negatively impact progesterone levels, which may lead to other imbalances in the body.
It is therefore essential that women work on balancing all these four areas. If you would like to learn more about maintaining healthy hormones why not check out our Hormone Balance Test or come along to one of our Happy Hormones workshops click here!
If you don’t already order Young Living essential oils and would like to, so you can make all of these recipes please click here!